TOP FIVE FAVORITES OF ALL TIME
1. THIS LULLABY by SARAH DESSEN
this book has always been very important and close to my heart. i read it when i was just becoming a young adult and it really opened the genre to me. more than any other book, this is the book with the characters that made my mind come alive with the hope of one day creating my own like the ones in this novel. this is my favorite favorite book. i remember passing it on to a friend, but not before hugging it first.
2. 13 REASONS WHY BY JAY ASHER
i think this was the first book i ever read in one night. it captivated and killed me. it was sad and beautiful. better than the show, too, just fyi.
3. AMY AND ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR BY MORGAN MATSON
just...all the squealing and the happies and the adorable and heart swelling + rent references. the perfect book.
4. THE FAULT IN OUR STARS BY JOHN GREEN
honestly, you love it or you hate it. i loved it.
5. FANGIRL BY RAINBOW ROWELL
OMG this book will make you fangirl, for real. or fanboy. there's fanfiction and the main character has all kinds of anxiety and she's just precious. plus, her sister's name is wren. i need to reread soon.
okay, now onto my 100 favorites aside from these. these won't all have commentary, but hopefully you'll take these great books into consideration when you're looking for a new read!
TOP 100 BOOKS
2009 (books read: 76)-the year i started keeping track of books i've read.
001. SWEETHEARTS BY SARA ZARR
002. TWO WAY STREET BY LAUREN BARNHOLDT
this is a book i'll always remember because it had a lot in common with something i was writing when i read it.
003. A CERTAIN SLANT OF LIGHT BY LAURA WHITCOMB
004. NORTH OF BEAUTIFUL BY JUSTINA CHEN
005. WAITING FOR YOU BY SUSANE COLASANTI
this is the first book i read that i felt really got how anxiety feels. i have a copy all highlighted with relatable things.
006. CRACKED UP TO BE BY COURTNEY SUMMERS
007. THE GIRL SHE USED TO BE BY DAVID CRISTOFANO
008. THE PACT BY JODI PICOULT
009. ALMOST PERFECT BY BRIAN KATCHER
okay, so this is the book with the first trans character i ever saw anywhere. i was still very young but i'm really glad that this was one of the first ways i was exposed to trans people. it was beautiful.
2010 (books read: 102)
010. SOME GIRLS ARE BY COURTNEY SUMMERS
011. BEFORE I FALL BY LAUREN OLIVER
012. THE DUFF BY KODI KEPLINGER
013. LEAVING UNKNOWN BY KERRY REICHS
014. GIRL, STOLEN BY APRIL HENRY
015. HATE LIST BY JENNIFER BROWN
016. FIXING DELILAH BY SARAH OCKLER
2011 (books read: 90)
017. PSYCH MAJOR SYNDROME BY ALICIA THOMPSON
i remember really loving this book and i'm just still sad that she never released another novel.
018. FIVE FLAVORS OF DUMB BY ANTHONY JOHN
a badass deaf mc. yes please.
019. BLISS BY LAUREN MYRACLE
020. THE MOCKINGBIRDS
a private school where the students have a student elected jury who listens to cases and keeps the school running in peace without the faculty bothering. the first time i learned about how rape isn't always a "clear line". character was drunk, so did she give consent? it helped me learn that the lack of a 'yes' is a 'no'.
021. LOLA AND THE BOY NEXT DOOR BY STEPHANIE PERKINS
022. THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER BY MICHELLE HODKINS
probably one of my favorite series ever. definitely one of the top sci-fi ones. sexy, mysterious, and legitimately creepy.
2012 (books read: 70-i was kinda busy with senior year)
023. EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SURVIVE THE APOCALYPSE BY LUCAS KLAUSS
I REALLY NEED ANOTHER BOOK BY HIM BECAUSE I LOVED THIS :( :( also, he went to school with morgan matson.
024.THE HUNGER GAMES BY SUZANNE COLLINS
look at me, i read this like right as the movie came out. no hipster moment for wren.
025. DITCHED: A LOVE STORY BY ROBIN MELLON
026+027. BUT I LOVE HIM AND IN TOO DEEP BY AMANDA GRACE
rip my heart out, why don't you.
028. THIS IS NOT A TEST BY COURTNEY SUMMERS
if you've been paying attention, this is my third book listed by courtney because i love her and i'm writing about this one because i think it's probably the ONLY zombie book i could ever get into. i was so apprehensive but if you're into the zombie thing, you'll love this. courtney is the queen of tension.
029. A MIDSUMMER'S NIGHTMARE BY KODI KEPLINGER
030. MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN BY RANSOM RIGGS
heck yes, hipster wren! also, he went to school with john green. and his wife's pregnant. and she's a ya author too. it all makes me very happy.
031. BUTTER BY ERIN JADE LANGE
032. I SWEAR BY LANE DAVIS
i actually wrote a review on this one because i loved it so much.
2013 (books read: 77)
033. EMPTY BY K.M. WALTON
this book is like...it's just heartbreaking. i don't know why i love heartbreaking books. read this if you feel like ugly sobbing.
034. HYSTERIA BY MEGAN MIRANDA
035. USES FOR BOYS BY ERICA LORRAINE SCHEIDT
this book has a beautiful cover. this book is not to be judged by its beautiful cover. i honestly didn't even like this book, but i feel that it's very important. it's very graphic and depressing, so proceed with caution. i'll never forget it, though.
036. FROM WHAT I REMEMBER...BY STACY KRAMER AND VALERIE THOMAS
037. PRETTY GIRL-13 BY LIZ COLEY
GIVE ME ANOTHER BOOK!! please. this was about dissociative identity disorder and i love the way the author slowly revealed what happened and how the alters came to be and what their purpose was. every time i see this at the library, part of me wants to take it out again, and the other wonders why the hell it's even available at the library when someone could be reading it.
038. THE ART OF WISHING BY LINDSAY RIBAR
039. DIVERGENT BY VERONICA ROTH
040. 45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS) BY KA BARSON
041. JUST LIKE FATE BY CAT PATRICK AND SUZANNE YOUNG
042. PARK AND ELEANOR BY RAINBOW ROWELL
043. FIND ME BY ROMILY BERNARD
i think this is one of the books that got me into mysteries. the whole series so far is amazing. hacker girl ftw.
044. WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE BY TRISH DOLLER
045. DANGEROUS GIRLS BY ABIGAIL HAAS
this had me up all night and just, it was so thrilling and amazing.
2014 (books read: 87)
046. THE IMPOSSIBLE KNIFE OF MEMORY BY LAURIE HALSE ANDERSON
047. GATED BY AMY CHRISTINE PARKER
kinda like the unbreakable kimmy schmidt but not as funny. at least as amazing, though. and kind of terrifying. but amazing.
048. GONE GIRL BY GILLIAN FLYNN
049-055. HARRY POTTER-THE ENTIRE SERIES IN THREE WEEKS.
yeah i freaking did that!! as the avid reader i am, everyone was shocked to find out i hadn't read the entire harry potter series. when i was younger, i read to the goblet of fire and got stuck in the world cup and couldn't get past it. so i had to start all over from the beginning and just keep going. now i can say that i am a true harry potter fan, even though it took me too long to read goblet.
056. TORN AWAY BY JENNIFER BROWN
057. ASTRAY BY AMY CHRISTINE PARKER (GATED #2)
058. THE NATURALS BY JENNIFER LYNN BARNES
i was sold so hard when there was a blurb saying it was criminal minds for the ya set. YES, A MILLION TIMES, YES.
059. DARK PLACES BY GILLIAN FLYNN
my favorite of her books.
060. REMEMBER ME BY ROMILY BERNARD
061. MY TRUE LOVE GAVE TO ME BY VARIOUS (ANTHOLOGY OF SHORT STORIES)
062. KISS KILL VANISH BY JESSICA MARTINEZ
063+064. THE EVOLUTION AND RETRIBUTION OF MARA DYER (TWO BOOKS) BY MICHELLE HODKIN
2015 (books read: 71)
065. ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES BY JENNIFER NIVEN
066. DON'T LOOK BACK BY JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT
067. LEFT NEGLECTED BY LISA GENOVA
honestly one of my favorite "adult" books. brains are amazing and scary.
068. TOP TEN CLUES YOU'RE CLUELESS BY LIZ CZUKAS
069. THE THIRD TWIN BY C.J. OMOLOLU
070. THE WRONG SIDE OF RIGHT BY JENN MARIE THORNE
the only kind of politics i want to read about. seriously, so good.
071. LIARS, INC BY PAULA STOKES
072. NONE OF THE ABOVE BY I. W. GREGORIO
i think everyone should read this book. EVERY. ONE. it's about a girl who finds out she's intersexed and the fallout with kids at school, her family, and herself. it's very powerful and honest and important.
073. THE SACRED LIES OF MINNOW BLY BY STEPHANIE OAKS
074. THE DEVIL YOU KNOW BY TRISH DOLLER
075. ROOM BY EMMA DONOGHUE
dude...if you haven't read this. do it. do it now. ask isis.
076. VIOLENT ENDS BY VARIOUS
what makes this so cool is that it's one story but it's written by like twelve authors. i forced this on jon after reading it but i can't remember if he finished. but it was so cool and good and courtney summers writes a part, so it was a must read for me.
077. HORRORSTOR BY GRADY HENDRIX
ahhh! i read this for our little book club we used to have. was anyone else in that? i think isis read this? and mic maybe? i can't remember. i loved it, though! we should probably do another book club.
078. WHAT WE SAW BY AARON HARTZLER
this is very much going with things that are happening now. there was a rape at a hs party. football (or some other sport) players were seen (bragging? i can't remember) and the whole team knew that it was on them, but they turned a blind eye and the girl was marked a slut. it's harsh but it shines a light on things that are going on all around our country. coughs brock turner
079. ONE BY SARAH CROSSAN
2016 (books read: 113)
080-082. THE PROGRAM SERIES BY SUZANNE YOUNG
such an interesting concept and delivered flawlessly.
083. EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING BY NICOLE YOON
i love this book and i love how well the movie stayed true to the book and i love amandla and i love that nicole's husband's book illustrations made it to the big screen. i love love love this book. i just can't say anything else.
084. THIS RAGING LIGHT BY ESTELLE LAURE
i know i read this in, like, a day. now her follow-up novel has taken me over a week and i'm still not finished. i'm such a bad reader this year. :(
085. THE IMPOSSIBLE THEORY OF ANA AND ZAC BY BRIAN KATCHER
are you a nerd? have you ever gone to comic con? do you like super heroes? do you like books and got and twd? this book is AMAZING! it's hilarious and adorable and just such a lighthearted, fun read.
086. KILL THE BOY BAND BY GOLDY MOLDVASKY
holy crap, this book is funny. these girls kidnap a boy band guy and it's like, 100% one direction, and it's just hilarious. it's dark funny, though. but dark funny as hell. i liked this way more than i thought i would.
087. FINDING AUDREY BY SOPHIE KINSELLA
088. DREAMOLOGY BY LUCY KEATING
089. HOW TO HANG A WITCH BY ADRIANA MATHER
090. PS I LIKE YOU BY KASIE WEST
if you just want to squee all day, if you want to smile so hard your cheeks hurt, if you want to giggle uncontrollably, this is the book for you. SO FREAKING CUTE. everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.
091. THE MEMORY OF THINGS BY GAE POSNER
maybe read this one first and then the book above after. this is heavy and sad and beautiful.
092. IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT BY PAUL RUDNICK
this book...was so funny. i mean, i was laughing so hard that i had to put the book down. i was laughing so hard that i was crying. this may have been the funniest book i've ever read.
093. THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES BY MINDY MCGINNIS
this book will not make you laugh. it's very, very dark. it's worth it, though, in my opinion. trigger warning: there's an unnice animal scene and it makes me sad to think about. but then, there's also an unnice human scene so let's think about that??
2017 (books read: 37 so far :-\ edit: completed 91 total books [12/31/18])
094. SMALL GREAT THINGS BY JODI PICOULT
i'm just gonna say that this is such a must read right now. it's so important and so good.
095. THE HATE U GIVE BY ANGIE THOMAS
same as above. super important in today's climate and just so good. and amandla stenberg's been cast as the lead for the movie.
096. THE MINDS OF BILLY MILLIGAN BY DANIEL KEYES
incredibly fascinating, and all true.
097. ADULTHOOD IS A MYTH BY SARAH ANDERSON
098. THE UPSIDE OF UNREQUITED BY BECKY ALBERTELLI
this is my favorite book of the year so far.
099. THE LINES WE CROSS BY RANDA ABDEL-FALLAH
100. WINDFALL BY JENNIFER E. SMITH
this book was pretty perfect and it explores how people can change when money comes into play. this is probably my second favorite of the year.
THAT'S ALL FOLKS (FINALLY)!
ps 12/31/17: 5 BONUS BOOKS FOR 2017
101. ELIZA AND HER MONSTERS BY FRANCESCA ZAPPIA
this book was amazing. the fandom aspect was perfect and it was great to see a character who is insecure in one sense and totally a badass in another. it was nice to watch her learn to have more confidence in everything.
102. NOTEWORTHY BY RILEY REDGATE
this reminded me a bit of she's the man and it had a lot of fun situations. not only that, but riley redgate actually wrote and recorded the songs in this book, which is awesome in itself. it adds another layer to an already fantastic book.
103. LITTLE MONSTERS BY KARA THOMAS
oh man, this book had me reading all night long. i could not put it down! i would say what it reminded me of, but it'd be a spoiler. if you want a good thriller, pick this one up.
104. GIRL AGAINST THE UNIVERSE BY PAULA STOKES
one of the best things about this book was that the character's therapy sessions were actually realistic. it was nice to see a character who went to see their therapist regularly and not just hate them and think of them as an enemy the whole book.
105. THIS DARKNESS MINE BY MINDY MCGINNIS
holy shit, this book messed me up in the best possible way. i'm still unsure whether it's a sci fi or not, that's how well the story was. was she really controlled by the twin she absorbed in the womb or was she just batshit crazy? this was another great thriller that kept me reading all night long.
HAPPY NEW BOOK YEAR!